Hacking 4 Oceans
New Entrepreneurship + Ocean Conservation Course
In Spring 2020, UC Santa Cruz offered the first class of its kind focused on identifying solutions to key coastal and ocean problems using Lean Design
Email the teaching team if you are interested in joining the next cohort
Learn Lean Launchpad and other Lean Design techniques for startup success and solve real problems.
Tackle complex problems critical to saving our oceans and coasts with an interdisciplinary team of students from across campus.
Application is as individuals or as teams of four UC Santa Cruz graduate and/or undergraduate students from any school, department, or program.
Limited enrollment by application.
Interested in the course? Want to learn more?
Ready to Apply?
2020 class applications are now closed. If you are interested in joining the next cohort, please email the teaching team at Hacking4Oceans@ucsc.edu.
View Hacking 4 Oceans Information Session slides below or CLICK HERE
Across the country, startups are using the principles of Lean design to create the next generation of solutions. Startups operate with continual speed and urgency 24/7. Over the last few years they've learned how to be not only fast, but extremely efficient with resources and time using lean startup methodologies. The Lean Startup methods have been adopted to take on actual problems that are curated and presented either to students taking a class or made broadly available in open challenges to the community.
In this course, you will use Lean Startup methods and approaches to solve actual problems facing ocean focused organizations (government, for-profit, and non-profit).
Hacking 4 Oceans takes on problems facing the ocean. Some problems might use Lean to solve internal process problems (e.g. cut the time it takes to process permit approaches to advance adaptation) to large scale problems that have applicability in other regions (e.g. novel solutions to create sustainable aquaculture feed). Students will form teams and choose one problem to work on for the quarter from a set of available problems. Each team works on a different problem.
Course Title: Hacking 4 Oceans: Solving Ocean Issues with Lean Launchpad
Course #s: Enrollment by permission number only, provided following application submission
- Graduate Students: CSP 281A, Class #: 64521, 5 units (2021 Grad Syllabus Coming)
- Undergraduate Students: CRSN 151B- 01, Class #:63979, 5 units, (2021 UGrad Syllabus Coming)
Term: 2020 Course offered Spring Quarter on Wednesday 4-7pm over Zoom.
- Apply as a team or individual.
- Teams will include UC Santa Cruz graduate and/or undergraduate students from any school, department, or program.
Interested, but want to learn more? email Hacking4Oceans@ucsc.edu
Note: Limited enrollment by application.
There are 3 ways to apply to the class
- Form a team around one of the problems that are sponsored. Only one team can be accepted for each problem. If you apply as a team with a specific problem, please also choose your backup problems.
- Form a team around an ocean technology/policy idea you are already working on. If you plan on applying this way, please let us know ASAP so we can work to find you an appropriate sponsor for your work.
- As an individual who wants to join a team.
The course is team (4-5 student) based. If you do not have a team, please apply as an individual and the teaching and planning team will help connect you with other interested students.